Tuesday 15 January 2008

Ridiculously late 2007 summary - I have been distracted

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before? So many things. Most notably - celebrated a wedding anniversary, told someone my biggest/worst secret, drove in Ireland, and kissed my husband on New Year's Eve.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and did you make more for 2008? I kept my resolution to quit smoking eventually, but it took months before it actually happened. As for 2008, see blog entitled 'A Trite Start to the New Year.' All broken at least once so far.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my closest friends in high school had a baby and called her Lucia. It seemed ridiculous to not be there, in spite of only speaking to her about once a year. Strange to think you could be so close to someone an miss such a huge event in their life.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I could have almost said no, but my great-uncle Jimmy died in December. Once again, we were close once but not any more. I detect a pattern. Kurt Vonnegut as well. I know I wasn't actually close to him, but he was so important to my life that he is worth mentioning.

5. What countries did you visit?
America, Ireland and England

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? Confidence, a sense of calm, contentment

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? March 28th - the day I was accepted to my doctoral programme. It was the day everything started to fall into place.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Graduating at the top of my class in spite of the many obstacles. I also finally acknowled that I was burnt out in my job as a homeless support worker and allowed myself to move on.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Being too afraid to admit to my family that I am not moving back home.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had surgery on my back and quite a significant bout of depression, both of which are on the mend.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new house, which is going to act as the foundation for the next part of our lives. A beautiful 150 year old brick house with original stained glass and wooden floors. It is magnificent, and restoring it to it's original beauty will be a gift in itself.

12. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Hosting Thanksgiving dinner in my own house, seeing old friends at a wedding, starting my life as an academic, having time to read for pleasure, winning an award I had thought was far beyond my reach, realising I had married the kindest man in the world, seeing Arcade Fire in concert.

13. What songs will always remind you of 2007?
"Intervention" and "Tunnels" by Arcade Fire, "My Moon, My Man" by Feist, "Twilight" by Elliot Smith, "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira, "March into the Sea" by Modest Mouse, "Mutual Friend" and "Sunrise" by Divine Comedy, and too many more to mention.

14. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Relaxing, making friends, going to concerts, travelling, telling my husband how great he is, cooking dinner, taking the dog on super-long walks.

15. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Complaining, worrying, crying, working.

16. How did you spend Christmas?
I awoke in my husband's childhood bedroom. He quickly donned a santa hat and ran through the house shouting "it's Christmas, Santa's been!" and waking up his parents and siblings. We then promptly lined up and walked down the stairs - my husband first as he is the eldest - and looked at our gifts from Santa. I was sick, so I skipped breakfast. We put on our new clothes, did some family visiting, and returned home for dinner. We talked about ridiculous things, as dictated through a card game giving conversation topics, and drank wine and laughed until the early hours of the morning. I had my annual cry in the front room after talking to my family on the phone, and my husband instinctively cheered me up by giving me his gift - a pair of wellington boots to wear in the mud and muck when walking the dog. All in all it was joyous and delightful.

17. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Repeatedly, but mostly with my husband.

18. How many one-night stands?
None.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
I wish it hadn't been Grey's Anatomy, but it was. Peep Show was a close second.

20. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No. I like someone this year that I thought I hated last year, though.

21. What was the best book you read?
I read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" again, and it once again surprised and amazed me. "Persepolis" was fantastic, as was "What is the What?" by Dave Eggers.

22. What was your greatest musical discovery?
So many great musical discoveries this year - Neutral Milk Hotel, Feist, Iain Archer, Gillian Welch, Modest Mouse, Rachel Austin. I owe most of them to a friend, who keeps me constantly in beautiful music.

23. What did you want and get?
Funding for my PhD, a new car,a trip to America to attend my best friend's wedding, my father seeing me graduate.

24. What did you want and not get?
Peace of mind, two dress sizes smaller, a job at the Human Rights Commission, more friends.

25. What was your favorite film of 2007?
"Stranger than Fiction." It truly moved me, made me laugh and cry (tears of joy), and made me think twice about my life.

26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went out to a local festival and drank and danced in this amazing tent set up in the town square that was decked out in red velvet, stained glass and candle light. It looked like the Moulin Rouge only smaller. I wore a silk purple shirt that made me feel like a million dollars and that I will only bring out again for an equally exciting occasion. I was 27.

27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having the people I love a bit closer.

28. What kept you sane?
My husband, my dog, my ambition, my work (all of these also contributed to loss of sanity at some point or another). Probably music, above all. It has always been my therapist, confidant and oracle.

29. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Will and Regine, the two lead singers from Arcade Fire (I sound a little obsessed with Arcade Fire, but I'm really not), Gael Garcia Bernal, Maggie Gyllenhall.

30. Who did you miss?
Gram, my parents, my sister and brother, Pat, Holly, Alex, Jen, Nicole, Gareth, Catrina, Washington DC, the Atlantic Ocean.

31. How did you spend New Year’s Eve?
Eating dinner at a Lebanese restaurant with some of my closest Irish friends - then drinking and dancing until early morning at a house party. I kissed my husband at midnight for the first time in the 6 years we have known each other.

32. Who was the best new person you met?
Rachel Piper. She is saving my life right now and she doesn't even know it. And John O'Donahue, although I am sad to say I might have forgotten to mention him if it wasn't for his recent death.

33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
I am not destined for failure.

34. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I found a man to stick it out and make a home from a rented house. We'll collect the moments one by one, I guess that's how the future's done." - Feist

"If you want somethin, don't ask for nothin. If you want nothin, don't ask for somethin!" - Arcade Fire

No comments: