Wednesday 30 July 2008

Baby Blues?

I guess I will just write about how I have been feeling lately. In a word - obsessed. I am obsessed with this pregnancy. Every time I feel a pain or movement or wave of nausea, I analyse it. I am doing my damnedest to stay positive here, I swear I am. But I just can't relax. Monday I went for an early scan (ultrasound). They call it a "reassurance scan" to appease women who have miscarried before - let them see the heartbeat, know that everything is fine and they don't have some horrible toothed creature where there womb should be that just devours little babies up and leaves you void of the chance of carrying to term forever. Because that is what it feels like when you lose a baby - like you are some freak that can't do the one thing that every other woman on the planet can do. Like your body is betraying you, fighting against you at every turn.

Anyway, we saw the baby (I am calling it the baby, not the embryo or fetus. This is part of my positivity - get over it). It was tiny. 4.6mm long, barely any shape at all that we could see, just a little round blob next to another round blob. The silence in the room petrified me, I held my breath as I waited for someone to tell me there was no heartbeat, that the pregnancy was not viable, that my baby was lost again. But then the midwife pointed to the first little blob, the little 4.6mm long dot. It was flashing, expanding and contracting. It's heart was beating. I wept. I couldn't stop weeping so they kept having to wait until I could see again to show me the screen properly. For the first time in two weeks - no, if I am honest, it was the first time in four months - I could breathe. Baby was ok. I was ok. Everything was going to be ok.

I walked around on a high, untouchable. There was nothing anyone could do or say that could possibly take away the joy that Max and I felt on Monday afternoon. We stared at our little scan picture for hours, refusing to put it down for more than five minutes in case it suddenly ceased to exist. We were going to be parents, really. Nothing was going to take that away from us this time. Monday and Tuesday nights were free from nightmares and panic attacks (the first of their kind in more than two weeks). I smiled to myself as I sat on the bathroom floor feeling like I was going to puke, because I knew that it would all be worth it now that I had a healthy baby with a healthy heartbeat.

Then this morning, as I went on to one of those silly little baby websites for expecting mums, I read a story of a woman who had a scan at 6 weeks - healthy, scan at 8 weeks - no heartbeat. I told myself it was one woman, and that one woman was not me. I listed all of the statistics back to myself - the vast majority of women who miscarry once have healthy second pregnancies, if you hear a heartbeat at 6 weeks you are 85% sure to carry the pregnancy to term. But then the other information sunk in. The family history - my Gram's string of miscarriages. My constant problems with my reproductive system since the age of 11. Some weird notion that I am just not meant to be happy or have the things in my life that I want - so why should this be any different?

What the hell is wrong with me? Can't I just be happy and relax? If I am going to carry this baby to term, I will do it regardless of statistics or family history or my bizarre obsession with failure. I will have this baby in spite of my tendency towards stress and panic, in spite of my absent-minded consumption of cream cheese three days ago or the fact that I got my hair coloured before I knew I was pregnant. And I will do it without having to worry every moment of every day about something going terribly wrong.

I'm just not sure how, yet.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

FG, you worry too much. I'm sure the baby will be absolutely fine. You're just prone to any number of irrational anxieties - I have the same tendency! Have you sorted out any names yet?

Martin said...

FG you have no reason to believe there will be any problems.

Focus on the positive, stay positive.
The horror stories are out there, just try to read the GOOD ones, allow yourself to enjoy this time.

Stay positive dear.

Fate's Granddaughter said...

Nick,
Was that a positivity trick? I have been avoiding even thinking about names - but realise that is a very negative train of thought. I made a conscious effort to list some yesterday. Thanks, even if you didn't mean to make me think more optimistically!

xbox,
You are completely right. Reading your recent post makes me feel bad for even complaining about any element of this. I'm just so afriad of not staying a "success story" for long! Thanks for your well wishing.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but I did!

Martin said...

You've no reason to feel bad because of me or anyone else, you've been there and you understand. That's enough.

Now it's your time to enjoy it. You deserve this.

Maria said...

I think your reaction is very common for a woman who has lost a baby. It must be a pretty scary time for you. It will get better when you get into your second trimester because you know, miscarriages are much less likely at that time.

Stop punishing yourself for feeling scared. You are NORMAL. I don't think that anyone telling you to stop worrying will make it so, you will just have to slog through this.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Fate's Granddaughter said...

Maria-
Thank you. It feels good to be told I'm not a paranoid psychotic.

Alice Kildaire said...

This is me sending out positive, reassuring thoughts that I'm not eloquent enough to put into words without sounding entirely too sappy.

Oh, just a reminder, it was NOT your fault...your mind knows this even if your heart can't quite believe it.

And for the love of all that's good in this world, quit torturing yourself by reading all the horror stories.

Now take a deep breath, re-read Maria's post (I love that woman!) and give yourself a hug from us all.

Fate's Granddaughter said...

Alice,
THANK YOU! I can feel your positive reassuring thoughts already. I'm getting there, only three more weeks and I can relax into the second trimester.