Wednesday 6 August 2008

Repressed Memories

Do you trust your memory? I don't mean trust your memory in the sense of trusting that you'll not forget to pick up milk on the way home - I mean trust that the things you remember are true? That they actually happened the way you see them replayed in your mind? I have often wondered if I am a revisionist, if I simply remember things the way I want or need to remember them in order to justify this behaviour or that fear in my life. So many of the major events in my life are surrounded by contradictory viewpoints - my mother remembers it one way, my sister another way, both of them the opposite of what I remember. Historically I have been quick to doubt myself (although quietly, and without showing them I have any skepticism about my version of events), but now I wonder if it is simply something we all do. Are none of us completely right? Is the truth somewhere in between our individual versions? Do we simply shut out the things we cannot face?

My memory is long and detailed, full of sensory images that queue the vision each time I encounter that smell/sight/sound again. The first memory I have is from when I was two years old. I was sitting in a tiny bedroom on my Aunt's knee. I had a fever, I was eating a bag of potato chips. Mum and Dad were fighting - just out of sight but within earshot. Mom is angry because I was sick and Dad wants to take me to his mother's house to fix it. My mother wants to know why Dad doesn't trust her judgement, Dad thinks she is silly and just wants a second opinion. Eventually an ultimatum of some kind is handed out, and Dad leaves. It occurs to me that Dad is gone forever, and that this fight is all my fault. My mother comes in and shouts at my Aunt for giving me chips.

I have always remembered this day. Years later, when I was thirteen, I would ask my Aunt about that night. I told her the story and she was shocked at how much I knew. It turns out this was the fight that eventually ended my parents marriage, they were divorced within a year. There were things I left out - my sister was there too, only six months old and laying in a bassinet nearby. There were things I added in - I always remembered it taking place in a house we didn't live in until several years later. I am fairly certain the emotions I "experienced" in the memory were ones I inserted later in life, once I had a greater understanding of what that moment in time had meant. None the less it taught me to trust my memory, to count it as one of my strengths.

I leaned on that confidence in years to come, when the many battles between my mother and I raged on into a full blown war. She countered every memory I threw at her, challenging my interpretation of every argument and event down to what I had for breakfast that morning. I remained steadfast in my self-belief. I would threaten her with tape-recorders, convinced that if I taped these conversations and played them back to her I would be vindicated and she would be shamed into confession. "I don't remember that" became my mother's defense, the weapon of choice in her arsenal. Because if she couldn't remember it, it never happened. Eventually she started to break me.

After all, I lied all the time.

My days at school were filled with elaborate stories, little exaggerations to cover the absence of normality occurring within my home life. Why don't I have to pay for school lunches? [Because my family was poor and we got free lunches] Because I am so silly with money that my mother comes in every week and pre-pays my lunches, of course! What does my mom do for a living? [Cleans houses and waits tables] She runs her own business, but I don't really understand what she does. What's that? My mother cleans your parents' house? [Of course she does, this is a small fucking town and all of you rich kids have parents who hire housekeepers] Oh she was helping out a friend who was sick for a while, she is really nice like that.

As I got older, and the problems at home became more serious (and more embarrassing for a teenager), the lies became more elaborate. After all, I was now covering for a suicidal mother, daily panic attacks and a burgeoning eating disorder. I could barely keep up with the fibs myself anymore. How could I trust my memory now?

My sister has always used her memory differently - by ignoring it, pretending it doesn't exist. For years she managed to shut out an entire portion of her youth and teenage life. The times I looked to her for back up were riddled with her parroting my mother's "I don't remembers" as though they were in on this great scheme together. It maddened me, pushed a distance between us that I couldn't (wouldn't) explain for many years. Soon my "memory" became a liability, the thing the family could cling to in order to prove I was negative, that I thought I was better than them. My falsification of childhood events were simply the result of some emotional defect, an odd need to justify the cold space between me and my loved-ones.

That's how I saw it, anyway.

But recently, the tides have been turning. My most recent confrontation with my mother resulted in an apology - her first apology (as far as I can remember). For the first time she acknowledged the wrongs, admitted to them, and admitted the effect they must have had on me. It was liberating, frightening, confusing. Next, AJ began to accept my versions of events. Once again I was left standing, mouth agape, wondering whether I had won or lost - or why and when I started fighting in the first place.

This validation is a double edged sword - I feel relieved that I can trust myself again, hopeful for the future of these relationships in my life. Yet at the same time there is this guilt. Why couldn't I have just let it go? My new and infantile experience with motherhood has opened my eyes to the panic and scope for disaster that being a parent brings. My poor mother - just a child when I was born, sick for most of her adult life, abandoned by everyone she loved - why couldn't I have just forgiven her without making her admit to all those mistakes? And AJ - why did I need her to re-live all that pain with me? Why could I not just be happy that she couldn't remember the things I had tried my whole life to forget?

I never anticipated the day when my family would see me as right, as having figured it out before them. I had grown accustomed to my role as the drama-queen, the black sheep. But now that time is here, where do we go with it? How do we start to climb over that vast chasm I have worked so hard to widen over the years?

I don't know, really. What I do know is that standing here, looking out to them from this precipice, I am petrified. But I am also excited, eager, and ready to embrace the family that I have always loved so much but have been too afraid to let love me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think our memories are broadly accurate, but we do change and invent details over the years - either because our memory is imperfect or because we want to see an event in a certain way. My mother and I always have different memories of the same event, and who knows which of us is right?

I think you're right to retrieve memories if they're significant to you and it helps you to do so. Of course that may be upsetting to others, but you can't keep burying things just to avoid possible upset. And it seems like the result has been a positive reconciliation between you, your sister and your mother.

Martin said...

I wouldn't feel too bad about stirring it up, the 'closure' (hate that word) will most likely help your mother too.

Maria said...

How wonderful that your family is all coming together now, even if it is for painful reasons.

I have always felt that it is best to keep everything upfront. My mother disowned me when I was 24 (I came out as a lesbian) and all of my sisters, except one, went along with her command to not speak to me. She died when I was 35 and the other two sisters came back into my life with nary an apology. But, while I welcomed them, I never once tried to pretend that nothing had happened just to protect them or make them feel better about what they had done to me. I think they disliked me for that for a long, long time.

Honesty is always best. And yes, sometimes our memories can be somewhat fabricated. If you take an event and ask all family members about it, you will be amazed at how it is remembered.

Raindog said...

WOW...blown away by the honesty of this! Thank you for writing it. This is all very difficult stuff. I think it is great...and I hope this does lead to your family finding a better kind of connectedness...but i am also aware that when a family member changes the steps that have played out like reassuring rituals that hold a shitty world together...there can be many lingering ripples and resistance to the change.

I do think our memories are part of the repertoire of tools that we have to conjure up illusions of control...and to glue our identities together...when really we are a shoody mishmash of often conflicting desires...dying for an easier-to-tell singular account. Give ourselves the reassurance of a straightforward history (even if that straighforard history is one of trauma, tension and conflict...but it is mad what we glue together) But, these are our survival tools. This is what we do to make ourselves feel like we aren't as at-sea as we really are.

my north star in relationships is Anais Nin's quote: "we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are". But, this is a bitter pill to swallow, because it forces us to let go of the security blanket of our "rightness", or their "wrongness", or our hidden, or not-so-hidden dogmatisms. It can be deeply unsettling to realise, that the only reality worth mentioning is the one that each member of a family is carrying inside them. No matter how much we find it easier to focus on the externals, as if they were anchors in a storm, the externals can just distract us away from our own internal realities...for this is what we find easiest to do when it comes to the messiness of difficult feelings. But, this act of distraction, this little illusion, has a very very high price, as you well know.

You are making such a good journey. I am astounded by your bravery, time and time again. I am welling up as I write this. Thank you for sharing x

Fate's Granddaughter said...

Nick - It is so hard to accept that the way we remember something might not be entirely true. Especially for those of us who abhor being wrong!

Xbox - It's funny how words like closure can be annoying, and yet so useful at the same time. I think it is not the concept of closure that bothers me, just people's obsession with it!

Maria - I never fail to be disturbed by a mother disowning her child. I have admired your honesty immensely...it is why I look forward to your post each day.

Raindog - Once again you flatter me far too much! I love that quote by Anais Nin (and someday soon I will tell you the significance of you quoting her to me!). I think understanding that is one of the most fundamental pieces in fixing broken relationships.

DJ Mikey said...

I do trust my memories, I think they are as acurate is it is possible for them to be.

No doubt we dress up the memories of bad experiences or painful events, in a way that makes them more palettable. I think everyone does this to spare themself pain, guilt or anyone number of other emotions. Becaus we are always going to relive our memories, even the bad ones.

However, I think the memories of good times are always acurate and more detailled than any other memory. I think this is also true of our 1st childhood memory, because it was something that was important enough for us remember.

My 1st childhood memory was an event that happened when I was 3. My family and extended family used to holiday in Newcastle - Co. Down. Because it was felt I was too young to fly.

Anyway, Mum, Dad, my Grandparents, Aunt and Uncle had gone out for a meal. Leaving my cousin/godmother in charge of me. Before bed, her and friend took me out for Ice-Cream (Mint Choc Chip Flavour). Being 3 I got mucked up to the eyeballs, and she took me to the fountain on the promenade to clean me up. I fell in, but wasn't in any danger really, the water barely came passed my waist. And I was having a great time splashing around. While my cousin tried to rescue me, I pulled her in to fountain with me. We both splashed around for awhile. Then she took me back to the house and got us cleaned up and put me to bed. Wearing Red PJ's with a Teddy bear print. It was a really great night.

Anonymous said...

Hi, FG, how's everything going? Okay I hope. Long time no see. I bet you have something to say about Sarah Palin....