Wednesday 20 February 2008

Rekindled?

I love that I have had the opportunity to live in so many different places in my life and experience so many different things. I know I would not be the person I am today without all of these places/people/things. The downside of being quasi-nomadic for so long is that sometimes you can feel disconnected from the people who had previously been so much a part of your life. So often I think about the friendships that have been cut short or worn thin by my relocation and I question whether it has all been worth what I have lost along the way.

But then something happens to show me how wrong I have been.

My wedding took place in Washington, DC 18 months ago. The photographer sent me the proofs, but not the album and package and has failed to respond to my enquiries since in spite of the fact that I have paid him in full. In a moment of sheer frustration, I sent an email to everyone in my address book asking them to send an email to the photographer to demand that he contact me. Within one hour more than 20 emails had been sent, three phone calls had been made and one person had offered to physically go to the photographer's office. I got my response. Even after I sent another email telling everyone that their efforts had been victorious I continued to recieve messages wishing me luck and promising further action if I needed it.

These messages were not from people I talk to everyday. Some of them are friends to whom I only send a Christmas card each year. All of them had a special place in my life at one point or another, but most of them are estranged and often distant. Frankly I had felt a little guilty even asking for their help considering my poor record of correspondence. Still, over something as silly as wedding photos and asking nothing in return, they all chipped in. This may seem really insignificant, but knowing that all I need to do is ask and my whole support network will be there is an overwhelming feeling. One that I have not felt in a long time.

Hoorah for lifelong friends.

No comments: