Tuesday 16 September 2008

From this Blog to God's Ears?

Disclaimer: This blog is about religion. Maybe not religion, perhaps more about faith and power and families and all of the baggage that comes along with religion. I just think all things God need a warning these days. The fact that I believe the previous statement probably says more about how I feel about religion than this blog ever could...

I was baptised and raised Roman Catholic. The degree to which this was a factor in my life varied based on my mother's constantly changing attitude towards her faith. But regardless of whether my mother always adhered to the Catholic teachings, the power of the church was ever-present in our lives. My mother considered the family priest, Father Joe, one of her closest friends and confidants. When Father Joe told my mom to do something - she did it. When my mother and father(then 17 and 19, respectively) attended pre-marriage meetings with Father Joe he explained the evils of sex before marriage - my father was promptly cut off. When mom and dad could not decide on a name for me, Father Joe was enlisted and helped my mother choose a name. Father Joe baptised all three of my mother's children and both my sister and I made our first communions and reconciliations under his guidance. We were sent to Catholic school in spite of my parents having no realistic way of paying for it. My mother saw the church as her support, her beacon of hope. When she was feeling lost and vulnerable, we would visit Father Joe - sometimes staying for days at a time with him in the rectory. When my mother needed money, Father Joe sent her some. When my mother locked herself in the bathroom and took an overdose of prescription pain pills, she called Father Joe for her last rites.

Fortunately Father Joe called the ambulance instead.

Given my background, it was no real surprise to me that telling my mother we were not planning on Christening our unborn baby in the Catholic church would lead to a certain level of disappointment. It was the defensive, enraged and irrational reaction that I was more shocked by. My mother used all manner of emotional devices to convince me I was making a terrible mistake - including the implication that my faithless child might grow up to be a sociopath with no concept of right and wrong. She pleaded with me to recognise the good of the church in spite of its flaws, to remember that Catholicism had to be a good thing, because Father Joe had been sucha good man. She even insisted that she would have the baby christened in spite of me, that it was too important to leave to one of my whims. She suggested politely that I find some other way to be "defiant" against cultural norms, one with less significant repercussions for my family.

Being raised in the church myself, I know the power that the institution has over its followers. My mother has been told of purgatory - of the need to erase original sin that follows each of us into this world. I would be lying if I said the same nagging fear hadn't crept into my own mind at one moment or another. But instead of being led by that fear, I have been angered by it. Frustrated in a church that would imply that my child's soul could suffer at my failure to adhere to their rituals, furious at the emotional blackmail that seems to be behind the act - an attempt to ensure future generations of followers and patrons. In fact, there are a lot of things about the Catholic church I get angry about if I think about them too much.

I'll take this opportunity to say that this will NOT be a church bashing session. Catholicism has given me many great things in my life. There is no doubt that my strong sense of right and wrong was a product of my mother's religious belief. Father Joe, the man I describe above, instilled in me a great sense of hope and and love - and let's not forget that he saved my mother's life. Another priest, the University Chaplain and the man who married my husband and I - Father Rob - helped me regain a sense of self-worth when I was 20 years old that I otherwise may have taken years to find. He also gave me the words that acted as my greatest comfort during the miscarriage that nearly ate me alive 6 months ago. No, I would never claim that no good can come from Catholicism or from any organised faith.

But I can recognise the bad as well. I can tally up the things I think and feel - and know - and I can weigh them against what the church tries to enforce. And the majority of the time, I just can't balance them. I can't get past the church as a power structure, one that has grave potential to inhibit and exploit. The same girl that felt loved and cared for by a priest was also petrified of hell and the devil, afraid to even think "bad" thoughts in case divine retribution were to follow. Although Father Rob helped that young woman regain some sense of self-worth, much of that self-worth would not have been lost if it were not for the guilt she had amassed over not being perfect in they eyes of her family, and especially of God. I have listened to sermons and homilies which condemned the lifestyles of people I loved. I listened to my Grandmother (the most faithful person I have ever known) tell of her excommunication from the church after divorcing the man who abandoned her and their three children. I have watched my mother put money she could not afford to sacrifice into the collection basket, only to look around at the grandeur of the church and the size of the rectory. I have sat in silence while an institution I supported openly and unapolegetically discriminated against my gender, where abusers of children were covered for and excused.

Finally, after years of turning a blind (faithful) eye to these offences, I began to ask the questions which led me to my decision. Would I tolerate these abuses from anyone else? If I had a friend who was openly homophobic, who was bigoted against other faiths and harshly judgemental of those who did not adhere to the same moral codes as them - how long would I put up with such a friend? If a school hired teachers who went on to abuse children in their care, and then covered for and refused to fire those teachers - would I continue to send my children to that school? Would I not be demanding the punishment of all involved in that cover up? If a charity asked me for donations to help sustain itself, and then used my money to buy over-the-top, fancy new offices while calling for its patrons to live humble and simple lives - would I still give them money? If a company used scare tactics and manipulation of truth to convince me and my loved ones to buy their products, would I not boycott their goods and try to find another provider?

Basically, if the Catholic church had been anything other than the Catholic church, I would have held it to account. I don't support people, politicians, businesses or organisations whose practices are at odds with my morals and beliefs - why do I continue to be a member of a church whose practices are at odds with my morals and beliefs? When my children are born, I like to think I will go out of my way to keep those kind of negative influences out of their lives. Why then should one of my first acts as a parent be to commit them to a life of serving a church which may well be that same kind of influence? It no longer makes sense to me, and I can no longer justify it as a rational act.

I am not saying that I don't want to teach my children to have faith in something greater than themselves and other human beings. I remember very well that believing in God and Heaven was a great comfort to me as a child. My mother once told me that God has a plan for everyone. I loved believing this, feeling like I had some great purpose to fulfill. I felt safer with the idea that God was looking out for me and my family, reassured that those who I loved were not lost forever when they left this Earth. Praying gave me a sense of control over things against which I felt powerless, and faith gave me strength and confidence at so many times in my life. I have not ever been ready or willing to let go of those things, nor have I ever felt I had evidence against the existence of God - whatever form he/she/it might take. I want my children to know those comforts, I want them to have faith and hope.

I just can't allow them to be made to feel like that faith and hope is dependent on their conformity to a rigid set of man-made rules and regulations.

So you see my dilemma. A modern dilemma, I suppose, and one which I assume is not new or surprising to any of you. How do you raise hopeful and faithful children outside the confines of a church community? How do you find a faith community that works for you and your family? Or is this all the same as telling my children there is an Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy or Santa Clause? Should I let them learn the realities of life without the safety net of God and Heaven and all things hopeful?

When it was just me, I was happy to take a lifetime to answer this question. Now I feel like I need a five month crash course.

11 comments:

m said...

This is a post I wish I had written, and am so thankful that you did.

I am gearing up for the "no baptism" discussion with my mom and like yours, it will not be pretty.

And I am torn with the same issues that you have written so eloquently about. Has the Catholic Church done great things for me and my family. Undeniably. Yes. Have they done great harm? Undeniably. Yes. Will I ever be able to rationally explain to my mother the place that I am in right now? Odds are not.

Like you, I am not hellbent on raising children with no concept of faith, nor am I interested in stifling any curiosity or exploration they would want to do. I do know the words uttered in a Catholic Baptism, where I swear to "give my child to God" will not be uttered by me. Or my husband.

Sigh.

Your questions aren't easy. But I do thank you so much for posing them.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I am not Catholic, but I was raised as part of a church. When I was waiting for the results of a professional exam (which took a couple of months to get back), I took the opportunity to do something I always wanted to do -- I read the bible from cover to cover. And, I learned a lot! Specifically, there are lots of things that organized religion suggests that aren't in the bible at all. Once I started using that as my yardstick, things fell into place for me, and I stopped buying into the nonsense.

I did choose to baptize my daughter, because I believe that Jesus wants us to follow His example, and He was baptized. But, I do not believe that my daughter would have gone to hell if I didn't. Case in point -- did the second thief have to step down from the cross to be baptized? Nope. That tells me that it is more an obedience exercise than something to allow us to avoid hell. And besides, Jesus would never condemn an unbaptized child to hell. Not unless the bible failed to capture him accurately.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Here through M.

Not Catholic, but I think you speak very well about this issue.

Anonymous said...

The only religion that has ever made sense to me is Buddhism, and that's more a philosophy than a religion. It certainly doesn't believe in obedience to a supreme being, only finding the right path in life. I was completely turned off western religion by the hypocrisy of all the 'believers' at my boarding school who far from being good Christians were mostly competitive, self-centred bullies.

It's entirely up to you whether to baptise your child or not, it's nothing to do with anyone else. Re raising children outside a church community, I think that's just a matter of teaching them to develop a sense of right and wrong based on the basic human values of compassion, decency, fairness and generosity. You don't need a church to teach you that, especially if the price is propping up a wealthy, authoritarian institution that discourages independent thought and action.

Fate's Granddaughter said...

M-
Thank you! It means a lot to know that there are others struggling with the same questions. Leaving a religion you've been tied to throughout your life can be so isolating. But as you know, it is hard not to believe in something greater when you have a baby growing inside you! Good luck with your talk - I hope you find the support you need.

midlife mommy-
I can't tell you how great it is to hear from someone who has strong belief but retains it without the structures of the church. It sounds like you have made a very informed and thoughtful decision for you and yours.

Lori-
Thank you. Unfortunately I am sure that those other than Catholics can relate to a lot of these issues. I have to be careful not to point the finger at one institution alone. It is simply the one I have the most experience with.

Nick -
I have been taken in be the philosophies of Buddhism at times, but find that there are dogmatic strains of that as well. Without getting too Orwell-ian, organised faith brings power and power corrupts more often than not. Thanks for your words of support. Sometimes it feels so difficult to stand up against family pressures on issues which are so important to them.

Kami said...

I am here via M too. I wasn't exactly raised catholic, but was baptized and married in the church. I now believe there is no higher power and the world is wholly natural. I can appreciate the comfort in believing there is a force of good and that we will see our loved ones again when we die, but I don't believe it.

Paradoxically, I currently dance at a very liberal Catholic church. I think it might be a place that would work well for you if you could find it. They don't necessarily believe nor do they teach all the catholic dogma.

As for us, I think we will teach our little one what we believe, but leave room for her own beliefs. It would be fine with me if she decided to believe in a higher power.

Unknown said...

I haven't followed your blog in a while, but I am glad I looked it up again.

I deal daily with issues of anxiety and guilt, two fanataical emotions I learned from my experience growing up in Catholic Church and schools. I agree with you, it isn't all bad, but my case is a sad one, because it seems that it is the bad that stuck with me.

The only advice I can give to you is this: Religion doesn't make us good people. It doesn't make us more loving partners, better parents, or compassionate neighbors. If it did, there would be no violence, no killing, no coveting, and no judging in this world.

Raise your children how you would want them to raise thier children and you will do just fine.

It's the quest for spirituality, not the obtainment of it, that enlightens our souls.

Alice Kildaire said...

I was not raised in the church, nor did I force my son to attend church, primarily because I did not want him to come to God simply out of fear. I was always open with him about my own personal belief in God and the reasons I chose not to attend church, which are very like your own. When asked, I provided the Boy with the best explanations I could muster, which usually meant I shared what I believed along with a laundry list of beliefs held by others. He has chosen his own path and now, at the age of 12 he has decided he would like to attend church to try to get a better understanding. I go with him to show that I support his decision.

And for the record, no, I simply cannot believe the God I know could be so cruel as to punish a child.

Martin said...

When did you slip into my brain and put my mixed up thoughts into such a gracefully articulate piece?

Obviously, we are a vital step away from matters of christening, I am troubled by decisions that we may have to make.

I genuinely think you are speaking on behalf of a huge segment of our generation.

I could go on and on about how I am constantly drawn to the catholic church yet I know I don't belong to it anymore, or believe in what it teaches anymore, but I won't, I'll say very well done with this, and the best of luck to you.

Best think about this post? Knowing that all is still on track with you. I'm delighted.

HeidiM said...

I'm here via A Taste of IVF Over 40.
Thank you for your post. I could've written it myself although not as eloquently, but I agree 110% with everything you say. I too was raied Catholic and am pregnant and have decided to not baptise my baby in the faith and have a mom who will freak.

My husband and I are currently "shopping around" for a religion. I'd like to find one that has less of the negatives you mention and more of the positives. We're leaning toward Buddhism. But it's a big scary step and I want to educate myself much further before making such a decision. My husband was raied Lutheran so it's a massive change for both of us. But it seems like bringing a child into the world is a good time to take such a stand on religion.

Fate's Granddaughter said...

Kami,
Thank you for your perspective. It sounds like you are planning to open and honest with your little one, while not limiting their access to other perspectives - I truly believe this to be one of the most important aspects of child rearing. Good luck, and thank you.

Sara,
Good to see you again. I hear the same things from people who grew up in the Catholic church and have since found it difficult to connect with that institution. The guilt is such a cliche, yet completely real aspect of Catholicism - one which I will try desperately to avoid passing on to my children. Your advice is sound, and encouraging.

Alice,
It sounds like what you are doing with your son is exactly what I had hoped to do with my children - it is nice to hear that it has worked for you, since many of my more religious friends seem to think it is an impossible task. I would be interested to hear how the experience of attending church together now pans out for your family.

xbox,
I know in my husband's case, being Catholic is so much tied into being Irish - as though he can't be one without the other. I wonder if that is the same for many Irish Catholics? I look forward to the day when you can start seriously discussing issues of Christenings and such! And thank you for your well wishes - it feels good to start thinking about things like this, instead of expecting the worst.

Heidi,
I have started going to other churches in a "shopping around" sort of fashion. My husband is skeptical of this, as he believes (as I often do) that so many of my issues are with organised religion in general, not just the Catholic church. I wish you all the best with your search, I hope we can all come to some sort of solution. Congratulations on your pregnancy!